Belgrade is one of the oldest cities in Europe, with big history of more than 7000 years. Lots of neolith findings (prehistoric Vinca) are showing that. Belgrade is capital of Serbia. Slavic name Beograd was first mentioned April 16th 878 in letter of Pope John VII to Bulgarian duke Boris Mihailo. “In Belgrade guest is the most important. He always receives the best the city has to offer. Yours is to come and later you will always return.”
Belgrade offers to its guests many cultural and historical sights, sports and cultural events and night life. You have to see Kalemegdan fortress, medieval Nebojsa tower, Saborna crkva (church), knez Miloš place, kneginja Ljubica place, Temple Sveti Sava – one of the biggest in this part of Europe, Knez Mihailova Street... We recommend you to visit Belgrade galleries, museums, theatres, opera or basketball, volleyball or waterpolo game.
Unforgettable fun and enjoyment in national specialties and all kind of food with good emotional (live) music is offered by many restaurant in center of city, on boats and rafts located on banks of rivers Sava and Danube, in bohemian quarter Skadarlija and Belgrade sea - Ada Ciganlija, as well in many cafes, nightclubs and discotheques.
Every year in Belgrade many international festival and sport manifestations are organized. The most famous are:
- New Year celebration in streets and squares
- Open Heart Street in January
- FEST (movie festival) in February
- Belgrade marathon in April
- BELEF (summer multimedia festival) July – august
- BEER FEST in august
- BEMUS (classical music festival) in September
- Joy of Europe (international children festival) in September
- BITEF (theatrical festival) in September
- Belgrade festival of documentary and short film (oldest in world)
- Book fair (prestige manifestation in visual arts)
- Book fair (biggest and the most important in this part of Europe) in October
Welcome to Belgrade!